Skip to main content

Palazzo Zimara History

Built in 1557, Palazzo Zimara is reborn to be lived and enjoyed today.

1557

Palazzo Zimara was built in 1557. It was the home of the doctor and filosofer Teofilo Zimara in the XVI century

1700

After the death of the last member of the Zimara family, Francesca, Palazzo Zimara was handed over to the Discalced Teresian Fathers. The Teresian fathers had their coat of arms affixed to the portal, now the emblem of Palazzo Zimara. A crumpled oval shield, crowned and placed on the head by a mask, with the weapon (of blue) with three stars (gold) of eight rays, arranged two on the hood and one on the field.

1753

The Teresians rented the palace; we know that in 1753 the Genoese nobleman Giovanni Tommaso Levanto and his wife Antonia della Ratta lived there with their children Domenica and Vincenza. Their presence added a luxury touch to the Palace and more of a personal attention to detail due to their noble background.

1876

After the religious orders were suppressed, the palace was sold in 1876 to Francesco Russo, a doctor from the region.

1926

In 1926 it was sold to Giulia di Ernesto Guerra and Luigi Sellitto. They lived in the Palazzo and their son Francesco Sellitto who was the mayor of Lecce from 1963 to 1967.

2000’s

After the death of the entire Sellitto and Guerra family the palace is abandoned and left in the hands of the Lecce government.

2010

The Palazzo is used as the movie set for the Ferzan Özpetek’s award winning movie Mine Vaganti.

2021

The Palazzo is bought by the D’Angelo family and the renovation works begin.

2023

The Palazzo opens its door with 18 historic suites, its own wine bar, La Bocca restaurant, a rooftop with a pool and an interior patio with garden.

See you there!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Via Giuseppe Libertini, 44
73100 Lecce LE, Italia